Artfully carved from a single piece of wild olive wood using simple hand tools by Kenyan artisans, this rustic bowl showcases the beautiful natural wood-grain enhanced by decorative bone inlay with traditional African batik design.
Each piece is approximately 8-inches in diameter. Due to the hand-carved nature, actual size may vary by up to an inch.
Because these are made by hand using rudimentary hand tools, no two are identical and variations are to be appreciated and enjoyed by the consumer.
- Hand wash only. Periodically treat wood with food-grade mineral oil or olive oil to maintain their beauty and luster.
- Socially responsible product assortments that is empowering consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate poverty.
- Fair Trade is so much more than a product assortment. It's about safe workplaces, fair wages + community investment for factory employees.
- Made from sustainably sourced olive wood and ethically sourced animal bone that would have otherwise been discarded.
- Each piece is approximately 8-inches in diameter.
Story Behind the Art:
The bone is "batiked" which is an age old art process used in Africa. The patterns are applied by placing wax on the white bone and dipping the bone into a dark brown/black dye, resulting in the beautiful African mud cloth designs.