Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, these artful elephant statues add a splash of color and global flair to any space! The clean edges offer a sleek take on our favorite safari animal. These are larger than the standard elephants we carry and offer a modern twist to the popular elephant offerings.
- Measures approximately 4.5 inches in length and 2.5 inches tall.
- Soapstone is a soft, natural mineral from the earth, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values fair wages and community investment for villages.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.