Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this sculpture features an angel with a dog in her arms. The angel is a special gift for someone with a beloved pet or to gift for someone who's beloved pet has crossed over the rainbow bridge.
Carved images of dogs may vary in shape and size, based on the community group who has created the sculptures. Expect some variance in designs, which speaks to the handmade nature of each piece.
- Measures approximately 5-inches tall. Due to the hand-carved nature, exact size may vary slightly.
- Color variations will range from cream to pink to gray to earthy gold in any single piece due to the nuances of natural stone.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it ideal for carving into many forms. Use care when handling to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art. ?