Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this sculpture is an abstract artwork celebrating the loving bond between two souls. Known as "the wedding sculpture" in Kenya, the two loops represent two people joined as one, yet still separate individuals. A wonderful and unique wedding, anniversary or engagement gift!
- Measures approximately 3x3x6 inches tall.
- Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary in size by up to a half an inch
- A natural stone, color variations will range from cream to pink to gold to gray in any single piece.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.