Hand-carved by African artisans from a solid piece of natural Soapstone, this candle holder is a work of art! Finding design inspiration in the magnificence of the landscape, craftsman use traditional techniques to create these hand-carved soapstone candle holders.The soapstone rock is ideal for carving as it gets its softness from the mineral talc and is commonly believed to have a soothing, balancing effect while creating a positive, calming energy. Place several together to create a truly unique statement.
- Holds 1 candle.
- Use caution: Surface may become warm or hot during use; place on a protected surface. Keep away from children and pets. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it ideal for carving into many forms. Use care when handling to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.