This Maasai bead bracelet features intricate beadwork of bright orange and turquoise glass beads. The beads are sewn onto a leather band which gives the piece a sturdy, cuff-like feel. Two snaps secure the bracelet. A beautiful statement piece that makes a great ethical gift.
Beads are first strung and then sewn onto the leather band.
- Approximate Size: 8.5 inches long and just under 1.5 inches wide.
- Sizes may vary slightly due to the handmade nature of each piece.
Maasai beadwork embodies the whole of Maasai culture representing beauty, strength, tradition, warriorhood, social status and their deep love and devotion for their cattle. The age old artform is practiced by women of the village who learn from their mothers, who learned from their mothers. The women take small glass beads that are laid out on trays and string onto clear threading. From here the designs and beauty explode to create bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.
Did you know each color has a symbolic meaning for the tribe?
- Red stands for bravery, unity and blood. The red is for the slaughtered cow.
- White is for the peace, purity and health.
- Blue, signifies the energy and the sky. They believe that with the rainfall it is able to feed their cattle’s and provide proper infrastructure for them.
- Orange and Yellow reflect hospitality. Visitors are served cow’s milk from orange gourds.
- Green like the earth symbolizes health and land.
- Black represents the people and the struggles they endure.
All jewelry is crafted by women of the Maasai tribe in rural Kenya. Fair Trade.