Artfully carved from a single piece of wild olive wood using simple hand tools by Kenyan artisans, this rustic oval container showcases the beautiful natural wood-grain. The bottom has a carved base adding another elegant touch. The bone inlay accent features unique batik designs that will vary from piece to piece.
It's x-large side lends this container to being a centerpiece on a dining table or entry hall. Or, use this for entertaining (food safe), a catch-all for remote controls on an ottoman, in a kitchen, or accent item in the home. Wherever the placement, it is sure to be a conversation starter.
- Measurements: Approximately 13.25 x 7.25 inches (due to the handmade nature, sizes can vary up to an inch).
- Hand wash only. Periodically treat wood with food-grade mineral oil or olive oil to maintain their beauty and luster.
- Socially responsible product assortments that is empowering consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate poverty.
- Fair Trade is so much more than a product assortment. It's about safe workplaces, fair wages + community investment .
- Color: Natural.
- Materials: Ethically handmade in Kenya from sustainably sourced olive wood.
Story Behind the Art:
Each piece of olive wood is carved using rudimentary tools, giving the bowl unique marks left by the hand of the artisan. The bone accent is crafted using the "batik" process which is an age old art used in Africa. The patterns are applied by placing wax on the white bone and dipping the bone into a dark brown/black dye, resulting in the beautiful African mud cloth designs.
Note: Because these are made by hand using rudimentary hand tools, no two are identical and variations are to be appreciated and enjoyed by the consumer. Sizes will vary from piece to piece. Batik designs will vary. Each is a piece of art.